Having just shifted from a job that involved lots of travel (and by extension junk food consumption), I was naturally a novice when it came to setting up my kitchen. To make matters worse, my current job was no less demanding (though it allowed me to stay at one place) and I needed a cooking appliance that would allow me to cook a wide range of healthy, reasonably delicious foods in minimal time. Thankfully, I had as my cooking mentor my elder sister. After carefully assessing the pros and cons of a number of ovens, she suggested the Big Boss Rapid Wave Halogen Infrared Convection Countertop Oven, claiming that it was the perfect solution for a small family like mine.
Being a natural pessimist, it was not without some misgivings that I ordered the Big Boss Rapid Wave. Adding to my suspicions was the pricing, which seemed rather low for a proper oven. To these doubts were added a dislike for the looks of the machine. However, having ordered the infrared oven I had run a short survey of existing user reviews, and they seemed to suggest that I should persevere with the appliance.
With some persuasion from my sister, I did, and I am happy to say that I’ve been amply rewarded for my patience. Appearance aside, the Rapid Wave oven is simplicity exemplified. Comprising of just a few parts (base, glass bowl, lid with heating assembly, extender ring, cooking rack and tongs), my Big Boss Rapid Wave Halogen Infrared Convection Countertop Oven is as easy to assemble as it is to cook in it. What’s more, my cooking times have been substantially reduced (with no thawing required), as has been the amount of oil that goes into the food. Surprisingly, these benefits have not affected the quality of cooking or the taste of the cooked food in any way.
At first I thought such heavenly results would be restricted to a few simple recipes, but over the past few months I have been trying out a wide range of recipes, and am now a firm believer in the ability of the Rapid Wave oven to cook any food quickly and perfectly. What’s more, my experimentations have now given me the confidence to share my thoughts on this oven with other prospective buyers. For this reason, I have provided below a detailed review of the oven, which I believe will help prospective buyers make informed decisions when buying and using the product.
Features Of The Big Boss Rapid Wave Halogen Infrared Convection Countertop Oven
- Uses Triple Cooking Power – halogen, convection and infrared heat – to cook any food thoroughly and evenly, ensuring crispiness on the outside and juiciness on the inside
- Cooking time reduced by 3 times in most cases
- Consumes less energy to cook the same amount of food compared to other oven
- Frozen foods cooked without need for any thawing
- Double rack allows larger amount of food to be cooked at once
- Capable of handling every type of cooking, including baking, broiling, grilling, roasting, steaming, air frying and boiling
- Requires no addition of oils and fats for efficient cooking
- All parts of oven (excluding power and heating apparatus) are dishwasher safe
Preparation Of The Rapid Wave Oven For Cooking
Most of us visualize ovens as fully assembled units, and so we neglect the need to carefully prepare and assemble the oven for first time use. Thankfully, such assembly is quite simple in the case of the Rapid Wave oven, and comprises of the following steps:
- Place the parts on a flat surface and remove all packaging materials, including any tape that may be attached to the exterior of the oven.
- Thoroughly clean all parts (except the glass lid and heating assembly) using warm soapy water, and dry them out thoroughly.
- Now take the base and put it on a perfectly flat surface, taking care not to place it too close to the edge.
- Place the glass bowl on the base.
- Take the cooking racks and place them gently inside the glass bowl.
- Gently place the extender ring (if you are using it) onto the glass bowl.
- Take the glass lid and place it onto the glass extender ring/glass bowl of the Big Boss Rapid Wave. Ensure that the lid is placed on the inner rim of the glass bowl, so as to ensure maximum stability of the assembly.
Note: There are two cooking racks, called the High Cooking Rack and the Low Cooking Rack. The former is optional, and can be used when there is a high quantity of food, or different foods that need to be cooked at one time. When using the Big Boss Rapid Wave Halogen Infrared Convection Countertop Oven for the first time, it is advisable to try out both together, so as to make sure that there are no defects in either.
Cooking With The Big Boss Rapid Wave Halogen Infrared Convection Countertop Oven
Now that we have the Rapid Wave oven ready for cooking, it is time to begin the actual cooking procedure. Before doing so, however, make sure that there is no clutter around the Big Boss Rapid Wave, since the infrared oven needs air to circulate efficiently around it.
- Gently raise the handle on the glass lid to a vertical position. The handle acts as a safety switch which ensures that the oven is turned off when it is in a vertical position. Raise the glass lid and keep it to the side.
- Take the foodstuff you wish to cook and place it inside the oven. From personal experience I would suggest placing it on the rack/racks since this allows the heat to circulate efficiently around the food, thus aiding convection. If using both racks, remove the upper rack and place food on the lower one first. Then place the upper rack and put food on it, such that the structure is stable.
- Take the lid and place it back onto the oven. Lower the handle till it “snaps” into place. Unless the handle is perfectly aligned, the oven will refuse to function.
- Plug in the power cord, making sure that the cord is at a safe distance from water and soures of heat.
- Choose the heat setting for your food. Now set the timer for the food (refer to the “Power Settings” section below for more information).>/li>
- The halogen lamp will now begin to glow, indicating that the cooking has begun.
- If you’d like to check the food at any time, raise the glass lid handle into vertical position and raise the lid. Make sure to use mitts and tongs, as the foodstuffs and the other surfaces inside the Big Boss Rapid Wave will be extremely hot.
- When the cooking is complete, the Big Boss Rapid Wave Halogen Infrared Convection Countertop Oven will automatically turn off.
- Raise the handle and take the lid off. You can check the food temperature with a meat thermometer if you like, but make sure to avoid direct contact with the foodstuffs.
- Use the tongs to raise the foodstuffs from the rack/s and place them on a platter to the side. Again use tongs and mitts to raise the racks from the glass bowl (unless you’d like to begin cooking a fresh dish immediately).
- Unplug the Rapid Wave oven and allow it to cool off.
- Proceed with cleaning of the oven parts (see “Maintenance” below).
- Time taken to cook average foods, especially meats, is lesser than those required by a conventional oven. Since this time difference is often quite significant, it is important to know the exact timings of your dish, and observe the oven periodically to ensure that the food is not overcooked/burned.
- The oven begins cooking automatically when the heat setting and timer are set, so if at any time the oven does not begin cooking, make sure you have set both.
- The oven offers the option of preheating. When preheating make sure the rack/s are inside. Now set the desired heating level and the timer to 10 minutes. Once the time is up, the oven turns off automatically. Remove the lid and place the foods as you explained above. However, the surfaces will be hot, so make sure that mitts and tongs are at hand.
Like any good kitchen appliance, the Rapid Wave oven’s power settings are present on the heating assembly attached to the glass lid. To make matters easy, only two dials have been presented and two indicator lights have been presented.
- The dials are quite naturally those for setting the time and temperature. The timer dial allows for cooking times in the range of 0-60 minutes, while the temperature spectrum of the Big Boss Rapid Wave Halogen Infrared Convection Countertop Oven is 250 to 480 F. There is however a setting below 250 F for thawing and washing.
- To set the time/temperature, always turn the dials clockwise. On the other hand, turning the dials anticlockwise during cooking is not advisable. If ever the temperature or timer has to be taken to a lower setting, the ideal procedure would be to turn off the Big Boss Rapid Wave and reset the dials, before rotating them to the desired level.
- When the time and temperature have been set, cooking automatically begins, with the red and green lights illuminating at once. The red light will stay constant till the cooking is complete, while the green light will turn on/off repeatedly. This happens because the heat light reflects the status of the halogen lamp. Since the lamp cycles between on and off modes while moving to the desired temperature, the heat indicator also does likewise. When the temperature has been reached, the heat indicator will turn off.
- As mentioned above, when you raise the handle, the Rapid Wave oven shuts down, and this is reflected through the indicator lights.
Maintaining The Big Boss Rapid Wave
I mentioned earlier that the Rapid Wave oven is dishwasher safe, except for the lid with the power/heating assembly. Once the oven has been cooled and the power cord unplugged, it is ready to be cleaned. To clean the oven:
- Remove the extender ring (if used), racks and glass bowl in turn. Make sure that the heating apparatus is at a safe distance from the dishwasher or other sources of fluids.
- Place the extender ring, glass bowl, racks, plastic base and tongs in the dishwasher, or clean them manually in the kitchen sink using hot soapy water. Avoid use of abrasive cleansers or harsh cleaning fluids, as these may damage the glass and metal surfaces.
- Dry the various parts thoroughly, before reassembling them on a clean and dry surface.
- The oven can now be used for another cooking session, or alternatively can be stored away for later use.
If you don’t have the time to carry out a thorough cleaning, you can simply clean the glass bowl using the in-built cleaning procedure.
- Make sure the oven is fully assembled for cooking. Remove the lid and pour one to two inches of water into the glass bowl, before adding dishwashing liquid. From personal experience, I would suggest using a mild dishwashing liquid.
- Place the glass lid back on and attach the power cord to the power outlet.
- Set the heat setting to “Wash” and the timer to 10 minutes. The oven will now begin the cleaning procedure.
- Once the cleaning is done, the Big Boss Rapid Wave Halogen Infrared Convection Countertop Oven will automatically turn off. Wait for the oven to cool down.
- Remove the glass lid and the glass bowl, taking care to ensure that the water does not spill out.
- Take the glass bowl of the Big Boss Rapid Wave and dispose of the soapy water. Now wash the bowl thoroughly in water. Dry the bowl and return it to the oven.
- Replace the glass lid and resume cooking/store away the oven for future use.
Note : The glass lid with the heating apparatus cannot be immersed in water, or even brought into contact with any fluids. Wipe gently with a damp cloth to clean the glass surface once you are sure that the lid has cooled down sufficiently.
Considering the limited kitchen space we have these days, it is always important to know how big the Big Boss Rapid Wave Halogen Infrared Convection Countertop Oven is. Thankfully, it is quite compact, measuring just 16 inches x 12.5 inches x 13.5 inches. The weight is equally decent at 14.1 pounds.
Though I’ve never had any complaint regarding the Big Boss Rapid Wave, it is still good to know that the company offers a 1 year warranty. Furthermore, if for any reason you’re dissatisfied with the product, you can return it to them within 90 days.
- Triple Cooking power ensures rapid yet thorough cooking
- Easy to assemble and operate
- Conveniently located power settings
- Does not take up much kitchen space
- No preheating or addition of oils needed
- Decent price and warranty coverage
- Timer cannot be turned counterclockwise during cooking
As I mentioned, I had studied the customer reviews after I had ordered the product. In hindsight I would advise you to study customer opinions before ordering, but in this case I was spared any shocks, since the reviews were mostly positive. Most customers noted how the Big Boss Rapid Wave Halogen Infrared Convection Countertop Oven could cook almost anything in a short span of time. Some praised the Rapid Wave oven for being a healthy cooking appliance since it did not require addition of oils. A few complained of the glass bowl being a bit heavy, but they also suggested that one does not have to undertake thorough cleaning regularly unless the cooking involves very greasy foods.
Though my purchase was perhaps not the most well researched, my purchase has served me very well over the past few months, allowing me to cook delicious meals not only for my family, but also the in-laws and other relatives and friends who happened to drop by. As is obvious from the above review, such meals proved quite easy to cook, and most importantly, did not demand too much of my time. Add to that the fact that the Big Boss Rapid Wave Halogen Infrared Convection Countertop Oven is extremely easy to assemble, maintain and use, and you have an oven that makes cooking a pleasure. All things considered, it becomes clear that the Big Boss Rapid Wave is an ideal choice for the family seeking a time-efficient and healthy means of cooking a wide variety of foods on a daily basis.