Secura 787MH countertop oven is One of the ovens I looked at when deciding which oven to buy. I collected all the information I gathered in this review for you to help you with your own decision on which oven will fit the needs of you and your family.
Features of the Secura Turbo Countertop Convection Cooking Toaster Oven 787MH
- Can be used for baking, grilling, roasting, boiling, frying and barbecue.
- Well positioned halogen heating element and fan ensure tornado-like movement of hot air, thus spreading the heat to the foodstuff efficiently and evenly.
- Hot air cooking using silent but efficient convection fan ensures little or no need for oil
- Fan comes with air vents for better air circulation.
- Suspension racks further minimize fat retention by the foodstuffs, thus removing fat present naturally in food as well.
- Design ensures fast and delicious cooking without the risk of over-cooking.
- No thawing necessary
- Sturdy glass bowl ensures both visibility and durability
- 12L glass bowl capacity and multi-level cooking allows a number of foods to be cooked without having to worry about cooking temperatures or different cooking methods
- Efficient halogen heating allows the oven to cook using 60% less electricity than a traditional oven.
- 1300W power rating and weighs 20 pounds.
Getting The Secura Turbo Countertop Convection Cooking Toaster Oven 787MH Ready For Use
Unpacking and assembling the Secura 787MH is quite a simple task since the design itself is so simple. However, in case you are new to halogen ovens, I have put together a short list of steps for getting the product ready for use.
- Take the oven parts out of the packaging and place the plastic base on a dry level surface. Remove any stickers that may be present as these can interfere with the cooking process.
- Wipe the inside of the glass bowl with a damp cloth or sponge to remove any dirt that may be present. Ensure that there is no leftover water as this will have to be dried out prior to start of cooking.
- Wipe the glass lid with a damp sponge, taking care not to make contact with the electrical parts or the halogen heating element.
- Place the lid on the glass bowl, such that the lid is in a perfectly horizontal position.
- Attach the power cord to the product and plug it into an AC power outlet.
- The power settings are located on the plastic exterior of the power head that is attached to the glass lid. As the power switch is turned “on”, the power indicator will begin to glow. Set the temperature to 250 degrees Celsius and the timer to 5 minutes (discussed in the Power Settings section below).
- After the heating cycle is completed, the Secura halogen oven will automatically shut down. Allow it to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Once cool enough to touch, remove the power head and glass lid assembly.
- Use the damp cloth or sponge to wipe the inside of the glass bowl and base a second time.
- Unplug and store away if you’d like to cook later, or begin putting in the foodstuffs if you wish to start cooking immediately.
Note : When I first used the product, I was alarmed by a slight burning smell. Later I learned that this smell is natural as the excess lubricants in the oven are burned off during the first warm-up. Such burning off is not harmful either to you or to the appliance. However, in the rare case that the burning smell persists after cooking and cleaning, it is advisable to contact Secura’s highly responsive customer care.
The above-mentioned settings (250 degrees Celsius temperature and 5 minutes cooking time) are also the recommended settings for preheating. In the sections below, I shall be using preheating to refer to these settings.
Cooking Procedure For the Secura 787MH
As I mentioned above, this oven is capable of handling a range of cooking methods. Before you go in for the more complex ones though, it is better to try out the basic cooking procedure –
- Place the Secura halogen oven on a level surface. You can plug in the power cord if you wish to or do so later.
- Remove the glass lid and keep it in a dry area nearby.
- Take the lower rack and place it inside the glass bowl such that it is stable and upright.
- Place the foodstuff you’d like to cook on the rack. Ensure that the rack remains stable and the primary foodstuff is placed at the center. If you like you can place smaller foodstuffs along the edges.
- Take the lid and place it on the glass bowl, such that it is perfectly horizontal.
- If you didn’t plug in the power cord, do so now and turn “on” the power switch.
- Though not necessary, you can preheat the oven if you so desire. Once done, set the temperature and timer dials to the levels demanded by the recipe.
- Once both have been set, the halogen heating element will automatically turn on and begin the cooking process.
- When the timer reaches zero, the power light will turn off and the Secura Turbo Countertop Convection Cooking Toaster Oven 787MH will beep six times. This indicates that the cooking is complete.
- Do not touch the glass bowl immediately as it will be extremely hot. Wait for the bowl to cool to a comparatively reasonable temperature. Use mittens to carefully take off the lid.
- Carefully raise the lower rack out of the oven and place it nearby. If the food is properly cooked, you can remove the food from the rack.
Place the rack back in the oven. If you’d like to cook something else, repeat the procedure above. Otherwise replace the lid and leave the oven to cool itself down. Once cool, unplug the power cord and store it away.
Notes On Cooking Procedure
- Avoid cooking meals with high liquid content, since the Secura Turbo Countertop Convection Cooking Toaster Oven 787MH is designed primarily to handle solid foodstuffs.
- When cooking for the first time, choose foods that are simple to cook but test the entire heating and timer range of the product.
- You can use the elevated rack for multi-level cooking. Ideally, place foodstuffs that require short periods of intense heat at the top level, and foods that need to be cooked for a longer time period below.
- The elevated rack is not a replacement for the lower rack. While cooking under such circumstances is possible, it will neither be efficient nor will the results taste good.
- Moving the power head at any point during the cooking process will stop the heating element and fan immediately. This method can be used should you wish to make sudden changes to the cooking process.
- A number of optional accessories (purchased separately) such as baking pan, pizza pan and grilling plate can be used with the Secura Turbo Countertop Convection Cooking Toaster Oven 787MH. These will replace the lower rack during the cooking process.
Power Head Settings
The power head consists of two analog dials, the one on the right being the thermostat (or temperature control) and the one on the left being the timer. Below the timer is the red power indicator, while below the thermostat is the green heating indicator. Operating the power head is really simple –
- The Secura 787MH turns on automatically when the power switch is flipped, provided of course that the lid is resting in a perfectly horizontal position over the glass bowl.
- Rotate the thermostat and the timer to the levels you desire.
- When the timer is set, the cooking begins automatically. This is indicated by the green heating indicator, as well as by a soft whirring sound that comes from the convection fan.
- Once the cooking is done and the beeps have been heard, you can remove the lid to check the foodstuffs, or proceed with setting the thermostat and timer again for another cooking cycle.
Once cooking is completed, the heating light will stay on as long as the internal temperature is above 150 degrees Celsius. The fan will also continue to work for sometime till the interior has been cooled down.
All parts of the Secura halogen oven are dishwasher friendly, except for the power head. The power head must never be brought into direct contact with any liquid. Cleaning is of two types
- Light Cleaning
- Unplug the oven once cooking is complete and allow it to cool down completely.
- Soak a sponge or dishcloth in dishwashing fluid and gently rub the insides of the glass bowl and the lower glass surface of the lid with it.
- Rinse off the dishwashing fluid that remains after the cleaning and allow the parts to dry prior to re-use.
- Normal Cleaning
- Once the Secura halogen oven has been unplugged and has cooled sufficiently, take the lid and clean it with a damp cloth/sponge soaked in mild dishwashing fluid.
- Do not use abrasive materials like steel wool or harsh dishwashing fluids, even on metal parts. Indeed, the process of cleaning metal parts is similar to that for the lid, except that one can try mild scrubbing using a nylon mesh pad.
- Wire racks can be soaked in water and then cleaned using a mesh pad (or dishwasher).
Dry out all parts cleaned by hand or dishwasher prior to putting them back together again.
Product Weight : 21pounds/9.5kg
Bowl Diameter : 13inch
At the time of writing this review I do not have information about the warranty that comes with the purchase. I will look into this and add to the review when I have the information.
- Capable of wide range of cooking operations
- Cooking time greatly shortened.
- Thawing not necessary
- All parts are highly durable and (except power head) dishwasher safe
- Offers range of cooking options with optional components
- Large glass bowl can accommodate medium sized poultry (chicken, turkey, etc)
- Multi-level cooking without risk of over-cooking
- Cooking is done by hot air, thus precluding the use of large amounts of fat or oil
- No self-washing/cleaning method available
As I mentioned in the introduction, I had begun my search for customer reviews of the Secura 787MH with a sense of foreboding, but had been relieved by what I read. Most users had praised the product for having quality parts that did not creak or crack even after long periods of use. Some users compared the glass body with the cheap plastic offered by other models, arguing that glass offered both transparency and durability. Regarding the cooking itself, users commented on how buying this Secura halogen oven has reduced their cooking time substantially. Further, they noted that even with heavy use more than 3 times a week, the product showed no signs of reduced functionality. Some users with weak (or very small) hands complained about the lid being a bit unwieldy, but I could not find many users mentioning this.
From my friends I have heard that it is quite difficult to find a compact yet durable oven without facing trade-offs between cost, bowl size, cooking time and efficiency. In this case thankfully, the Secura Turbo Countertop Convection Cooking Toaster Oven 787MH has managed to exceed all expectations. Not only does it replace a large number of older (and bulkier) kitchen appliances, it accommodates large foodstuffs without becoming a burden on the limited kitchen space we have. Add to these the provision for oil-free cooking and the ability to cook a number of foods (or a single large foodstuff and some accompaniments) at the same time, and you have a halogen oven that is perfect for any individual or family that wishes to incorporate a healthy eating regime within its busy schedule.